Bolt take a break after gold in Beijing
PARIS, France (AFP) — Jamaican sprint star Usain Bolt will skip the season-ending Diamond League meet in Brussels on Friday to enjoy a break after storming to treble gold at the world Championships in Beijing last month.
“After the excitement of the past few weeks at the World T&F (track and field) Championships in Beijing, I have decided not to race again in 2015,” Bolt said in a post on his Facebook account.
“I am already thinking about next year and the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio where I will attempt to defend my titles in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m.
“I will enjoy a short break from training now to recharge before resuming background training next month.”
Bolt saw off all rivals in the Chinese capital, sealing another world treble gold despite an injury-hit season.
Bolt anchored Jamaica to victory in the 4x100m relay to add to his wins in both the 100m and 200m, trumping his much-touted and controversial American rival Justin Gatlin.
It was Bolts fifth treble gold showing in major championships, having performed the same feat at the 2008 and 2012 Olympics in Beijing and London, and World Championships in 2009 and 2013 in Berlin and Moscow.
His sole hiccup came in the 2011 Worlds in Daegu when a false start in the 100m saw him return home with “only” the 200m title and a relay gold.
Bolt had been due to compete in the 200m in Brussels, with Gatlin racing the 100m.
“Unfortunately Usain Bolt feels too tired and has decided to end his season and go back home,” organisers tweeted.
Gatlin, who claimed two silvers in the 100 and 200m behind Bolt, received a tweet from organisers after the Jamaicans withdrawal hoping the American might repeat his double-winning feat from last years meet.
Bolt battled through an injury-hit season for glory in Beijing, pelvic joint pain meaning he sat out six weeks of competitive action in the run-up to the worlds.
The towering 29-year-old explained he was content to call it a day for this year having had no recurrence of that injury, which saw him seek treatment in Munich with renowned doctor Hans-Wilhem Mueller-Wohlfahrt.
“I have competed in Brussels many times over the years and it is always one of the best meets on the circuit,” the Jamaican said.
“The track is fast and they always have a full house. I was looking forward to running there this year but Im happy to end the season without any injuries and ready to go for 2016. I have received unbelievable support over the past few weeks and would like to thank all the fans for their good wishes.
Author: Ricardo – Jamaica
Source photo: headlines-news